Just like you, the OutCare Foundation is concerned by the challenges facing our hospice partners on the front lines of palliative care:
- Both residential and in-home patients face isolation from family and caregivers and not all patients can access video or virtual care and visits.
- Front-line workers are pushed to their limits and it is difficult to hire new staff at this time as interviews and funding are delayed.
- There’s a shortage of PPE (personal protective equipment) for staff, volunteers and family members.
- Third-party fundraising events are drying up, threatening the hospices’ ability to fund services.
Like you, the OutCare Foundation staff and board have modified operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are working from home, meeting by videoconference and have sadly had to postpone our normal fundraising events including our Spring Comedy Night and Big Soul Project music concert.
What hasn’t changed is our commitment to support palliative patients, their families, caregivers and professionals – and the need is greater than ever.
We are also inspired by the creativity and dedication of our front-line workers as they care for their vulnerable patients:
- Hospice Day Program clients are receiving weekly check-ins by phone and more often as required.
- Staff is mobilizing to cook meals and deliver to homes where people are in palliative care.
- A retired minister is setting up a virtual spiritual care group.
OutCare wants to help our hospices deliver the care so desperately needed by sharing their stories with you and by making it easier for you to donate to the hospice of your choice.
We have streamlined our online donation page so that you can choose to donate to the Area of Greatest Need or you can specify the hospice you want to receive your gift.
During these uncertain times when so much is out of our control, you can make a difference in the life of your neighbour. Please donate now.