When the OutCare Foundation recognized an unmet need for end-of-life palliative care in 2005, we refocused our efforts to provide financial support for community palliative care programs, primarily in hospices.
Funding Innovation & Education
Thanks to your support, in the past 15 years OutCare has funded a broad range of initiatives for palliative care providers throughout the Ottawa and Eastern Ontario region; including:
• a successful telemedicine project
• promotion and facilitation of Advanced Care Planning
• bursaries for both palliative care volunteers and students and,
• equipment that improves the comfort, care and quality of life for those facing end-of-life
Demand for In-home Palliative Care
As we move towards our third decade in the community and our 20th anniversary, OutCare is adapting and continues to respond to the changing needs in the community. A series of strategic planning sessions supported by these demographic facts from a Health Canada study have helped OutCare revise our focus:
• The majority (75%) of the population prefer to spend their final days in the comfort of their homes;
• Only 15% of people receive palliative specific home care in their final month of life; and,
• The number of people over the age of 80 will double by 2036.
Our region has only 62 residential hospice beds (in 8 locations) and one dedicated 31-bed sub-acute palliative care unit (Bruyère) for a total of 93 palliative care beds to serve a region of over 1.3 million.
The current residential hospice model for palliative care does not have the capacity to handle the demand within our community.
OutCare recognizes the need to deliver palliative services into homes to ease the burden on the families and on the healthcare system. Our fundraising focus will support home-based palliative care programs provided by the hospices in the Champlain Health Region.
The Champlain Health Region stretches along the Ottawa and St Lawrence Rivers, servicing more than 1.3 million people in Renfrew County, North Lanark, Ottawa, Prescott/Russell and Stormont-Dundas & Glengarry.
Together We Can Make a Difference
Please join us on this new direction and help to make it possible for more people in our community to live out their final days with love, hope and dignity.